Captain Harry Burgess commissioned Launceston Shipbuilder Ned Jack to build the new fishing boat to replace the Ada Burgess which had been wrecked in 1934. Ned was unwilling to venture from the normal design but Harry finally convinced him, and the ketch named the Julie Burgess, after Harry’s wife, was launched in the Tamar River in 1936.
She was built from blue gum, Huon pine and other Tasmanian timbers and some of her original timbers were able to be used in her reconstruction.
She contained a ‘wet well’ amidships, where she could hold 4000 crayfish in seawater. With this amount of moveable cargo below deck, the extra width made her extremely stable in the Bass Strait conditions, which due to its average depth being only 50 meters, can produce a treacherous sailing environment.